[dns-operations] check if a domain has been registered via DNS

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Fri Apr 28 16:18:44 UTC 2017

Mark Jeftovic wrote:

> Not unless the registries decide to start pushing some meta-data into
> their zones, (via TXT records?) which I think would be a fine idea, like

noting, these TXT (or whatever) records could not be at the delegation
point or beneath it, since only DS will be found in the parent zone,
whereas lookups for all other types will follow the delegation. so, to
make something like this proposal possible, we'd have to use "cousin"
domains, which is also what DS should have used, but it's too late there.

for example, vix._metadata.com might be where one looks for registry
metadata about a zone.

> * a flag to announce various registry statuses (pendingDelete, on-hold,
> expired)
>
> * a flag that announces if whois privacy is enabled (I really wish for this)
>
> * hey, while we're at it, a flag to announce if the string is available
> for registration!

even more than those, which i would value, i want to know the registrar
identity. if i could blackhole whole registrars, my life would get
easier. but as you imply, blackholing whois-privacy domains and
pendingDelete domains would also help push the line of scrimmage back to
midfield.

--
P Vixie