[dns-operations] check if a domain has been registered via DNS

Antoin Verschuren dns at antoin.nl
Fri Apr 28 14:59:37 UTC 2017

Op 28 apr. 2017, om 12:33 heeft Anand Buddhdev <anandb at ripe.net> het volgende geschreven:

> I don't like the idea of having this as a public module in CPAN. Soon
> enough, people will be using it without really understanding its results.
>
> Many DNS experts here have told you that this is a bad idea. I think you
> should be listening to these experts' opinions.

I agree with Anand, this is a really bad idea:

Appart from the fact that this method may not get you the result you desire and therefor is worthless, It also (ab)uses DNS infrastructure for a purpose it was not intended for.
You may find out that there are registries that have set a "DNS abuse policy” that only allows it’s public DNS infrastructure to be used for resolving purposes, and may block your traffic when used for other purposes. Some have set up a separate infrastructure or other out-of-band methods for research purposes for example, because otherwise domainers may stress the regular DNS infrastructure to a level where normal traffic is affected. You may also find response rate limiting in your way when using DNS and not acting as a regular resolver.
Some registries may have set up a separate DNS infrastructure as a DAS service, so please use the DAS/Is/Whois/RDAP from a registry and stop abusing regular DNS infrastructure.

- --
Antoin Verschuren

Tweevoren 6, 5672 SB Nuenen, NL
M: +31 6 37682392