[dns-operations] anycasting axfr

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue Apr 18 13:44:18 UTC 2017

In article <36B261F7-3D5A-4729-9792-718CF7382D22 at rfc1035.com> you write:

>> On 18 Apr 2017, at 14:00, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
>>
>> You'll have to unpack that for me because I can't see where the
>> difference is.
>
>TCP connections for HTTP tend to be short-lived and/or carry just a few KB of data. AXFRs don’t, at least not for big zones slurped across
>wide-area networks. It usually doesn’t matter much if an HTTP connection breaks during a page load either. YMMV.
>
>If you need further illimunation, try comparing your browser’s TCP behaviour when loading the home page of $favourite-web-site with what dig (say)
>does for an AXFR of the root or TLD.

You might want to look at slides 18 and 19 of the deck Tony referred to:

https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog37/presentations/matt.levine.pdf

One of their tests was IPTV downloads where a significant number of sessions
lasted more than 10 minutes. They worked fine, like 99.98% success.

That was 10 years ago but I don't see why the results would be worse now.

R's,
John