[dns-operations] anycasting axfr

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Apr 18 13:22:00 UTC 2017

> On 18 Apr 2017, at 14:00, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
>
> You'll have to unpack that for me because I can't see where the
> difference is.

TCP connections for HTTP tend to be short-lived and/or carry just a few KB of data. AXFRs don’t, at least not for big zones slurped across wide-area networks. It usually doesn’t matter much if an HTTP connection breaks during a page load either. YMMV.

If you need further illimunation, try comparing your browser’s TCP behaviour when loading the home page of $favourite-web-site with what dig (say) does for an AXFR of the root or TLD.