[dns-operations] happy september!

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Wed Sep 7 03:57:44 UTC 2016

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 19:16:35 +0000
Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> If you have ideas of network[ing] related myths we need to better
> communicate, I’m interested in hearing your ideas.

I started a thread based on this idea on NANOG a few years back.  I
never ended up putting the list together, but here are a few common and
easy ones:

* Referring to a /24 prefix as a class C (or /16 as a B, /8 as an A).

* DNS over TCP is for zone transfers only.

* All ICMP packets pose a security risk and should be blocked.

* Forward and reverse paths are symmetric.

* Private addressing and NAT are necessary for security.

* When DNS resolvers need to look up a name such as foo.example.net,
  they first ask a root server for the address of .net.

* UDP = Unreliable Datagram protocol.

* Fewer traceroute hops = faster / shorter / closer.

* A /24 contains 254 addresses.

* Servers are always best protected with stateful firewalls.

* Ethernet autonegotiation is best disabled.

* RFCs are standards.

* Collisions on shared Ethernet are bad.

John