[dns-operations] happy september!

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Sep 6 19:16:35 UTC 2016

> On Sep 6, 2016, at 11:52 AM, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
>
> It isn't entirely wonderful.

Well, it’s as always, a patch/stitch or other solution compared to
perfection.

I really wish my kids didn’t need to go to the emergency room, but
since it’s there and they sometimes require treatment, I’m glad it’s
a tool vs me having to be a doctor and know how to suture myself.

Using the inherent protocol design to cheat (TC=1) is a cute trick
to make things better, but certainly doesn’t address the many root
causes and cascading issues, similar to phoning 911 or 999, etc.

I’m talking to a folks about doing a network myths style thing, and
the “DNS is UDP” is one of my #1 ones.  There are many others out
there some good education would help resolve.  I remember early in
my career thinking that addresses with zero in them were possibly a
problem.

If you have ideas of network[ing] related myths we need to better
communicate, I’m interested in hearing your ideas.

- Jared