[dns-operations] Recommended zone serial number format for over 100 changes / day

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Thu Mar 31 14:12:25 UTC 2016

Jonathan,

At 2016-03-31 13:27:14 +0000
Jonathan Tuliani <Jonathan.Tuliani at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thank you everyone for the feedback so far.
>
> It seems there are two mutually-exclusive options:
>
> 1.       Stick with the YYYYMMDDnn format, which is intended more for
> manual edits etc but doesn't support over 100 updates/day.
>
> 2.       Use a different format, based on time or incremental serial
> number.
>
> The reason I'm keen to stick with the YYYYMMDDnn format is that since
> it's an RFC recommendation, some of our users get confused or
> concerned when we do anything else.  For example, a different format
> may be flagged by DNS validation tools* and I'm even told that at
> least one ccTLD registry *requires* this format (I will follow up
> with them privately).

Surely you can site "be liberal in what you accept" to your users? ;)

> However, at the same time, I need to support large numbers of
> updates/day.
>
> It seems there's no way to have the 'best of both'.

There is also the YYYYMMnnnn format, which will give you several times
as many updates per day as the YYYYMMDDnn format. (10000 updates in a
month, for an average of more than 300 updates per day.)

But basically your analysis is correct - you can either accept
semantics with the date format but limited updates, or be free and not
worry about it. :)

Cheers,

--
Shane