[dns-operations] Recommended zone serial number format for over 100 changes / day

Jonathan Tuliani Jonathan.Tuliani at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 31 13:27:14 UTC 2016

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far.

It seems there are two mutually-exclusive options:

1.       Stick with the YYYYMMDDnn format, which is intended more for manual edits etc but doesn't support over 100 updates/day.

2.       Use a different format, based on time or incremental serial number.

The reason I'm keen to stick with the YYYYMMDDnn format is that since it's an RFC recommendation, some of our users get confused or concerned when we do anything else.  For example, a different format may be flagged by DNS validation tools* and I'm even told that at least one ccTLD registry *requires* this format (I will follow up with them privately).

However, at the same time, I need to support large numbers of updates/day.

It seems there's no way to have the 'best of both'.

Thank you again for the useful input,

- Jonathan

* For example, www.dnssy.com/report.php<http://www.dnssy.com/report.php> gives a warning ("Your SOA serial number is 1. This does not match the recommended format of YYYYMMDDnn [RIPE-203]<http://www.ripe.net/docs/ripe-203.html>. This is not necessarily a problem as long as your DNS admin knows what they are doing.")  I also see a warning in mxtoolbox.com ("SOA Serial Number Format is Invalid")