[dns-operations] 答复: L-Root IPv6 Address renumbering

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Fri Mar 11 18:48:21 UTC 2016

Jonathan Stewart wrote:
> At DNS-OARC in in Montreal, October 2015, the Verisign people pointed
> out that J-root's old IP address is still active, 13 years after the new
> address was published, and it gets 100-200 qps, if I recall correctly.
>
> No one was really sure what DNS servers were out there using 13-year old
> root hints files, but they are out there, sending queries.

on my darker days ("too much coffee man!!") i want us to start answering
NXDOMAIN from any root server address that was decommissioned more than
ten years ago.

> Maybe IPv6 devices will be updated more often than IPv4 devices. Maybe?

that's a double-edged wish. these old queriers are an example of why we
can't have source address validation -- too much abandonware. but in the
incoming over-the-air update model, vendors and gov'ts can do as they
please (see windows 10). there will be heck to pay for that, and also
for the new attack surface added by the over-the-air mechanisms.

--
P Vixie