[dns-operations] Embedding MAC address in DNS requests for selective filtering

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sun Jan 31 15:30:45 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 12:03:49PM +0100,
 bert hubert <bert.hubert at powerdns.com> wrote
 a message of 34 lines which said:

> If this is done, I would highly recommend that it be done like this:

Nice algorithm (although I know that anonymisation is hard and, this
algorithm will have to be reviewed by experts) but it still leaks
information (such as the number of machines on the LAN).

> The other reason providers are now looking at this is that there is
> a real demand for 'safe browsing',

In that case, it must be done on the end host (liek the various ad
blockers do), not in the infrastructure.