[dns-operations] CVE-2015-7547: glibc getaddrinfo buffer overflow

Ray Bellis ray at isc.org
Tue Feb 23 19:43:19 UTC 2016

On 23/02/2016 19:27, Brian Hartvigsen (bhartvig) wrote:
> I actually wrote the blog post and tried to be very specific in what I
> wrote.  The claim was that we could protect from the malformed DNS
> packets put forward in the PoC code.  Which is accurate and the best
> information we had to go on at the time.  Further updates have come out
> now that say the vulnerability is exploitable with properly constructed
> DNS packets.  That’s a whole different ball game (as discussed in this
> thread and many others like it.)

We at ISC have been reluctant to say that running BIND will protect you,
because we simply can't be sure.

I personally think it's very unlikely that a full exploit could make it
through this path, although a crash exploit seems perfectly feasible.

The supposition that RRs will probably come out of cache in a different
order to how they went in is likely a factor in our favour.

Ray