[dns-operations] lowercasing of questions from recursor to auths?

Edward Lewis edward.lewis at icann.org
Fri Feb 5 17:26:57 UTC 2016

On 2/5/16, 11:15, "dns-operations on behalf of Peter van Dijk"
<dns-operations-bounces at dns-oarc.net on behalf of
peter.van.dijk at powerdns.com> wrote:

>My concrete question: can you imagine operational downsides to
>lowercasing all
>questions sent to auths? Because I don’t see it, but we’ve gone 15 years
>(longer for other implementations) preserving case so I need to be
>careful.

Operationally, when you confine your eyes to DNS, case does not, or more
accurately, is not supposed to, matter.  Much in the same way the order of
records in a response section (thinking of "round robin") is not supposed
to matter.

But it might matter to what ever (person, code) is using the DNS response.

>(In case the question comes up, this discussion is triggered by
>widget.criteo.com
>returning several IPs instead of just one when asked in non-lowercase.)

I can't reproduce this one.  (dig "WIDGET.CRITEO.COM a" vs. "dig
widget.criteo.com a" as an example comparison.)

My blanket response is - there's a lot of broken code around.  Don't break
your code to appease other broken code.

I wouldn't mess with the way we have been treating case, it's taken years
to try to get folks to do it "right."