[dns-operations] NeoDNS : A new DNS like the one we know

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Aug 29 18:57:11 UTC 2016

On August 29, 2016 at 11:46:04 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer at nic.fr) wrote:
On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 11:08:58AM -0700,
David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote
a message of 69 lines which said:

> I'm curious: how does waving the magic blockchain wand around
> address two non-cooperating entities wanting the same name in a
> "fair" manner

The blockchain implements First Come First Served without the need for
an organisation to manage the registry.
Sure, and that works nicely when the commodity in question is fungible. Names generally aren't considered fungible.

So, it works between
"non-cooperating entities": one will have the name, the other will
have to admit defeat.
For some (in practice useless in the context of the DNS) value of the variable "works."

Whether or not FCFS is "fair" is a matter of
opinion.

I'm sure domain name squatters (and lawyers who get paid to go after the squatters) will think that quite "fair."

Regards,
-drc