[dns-operations] NeoDNS : A new DNS like the one we know

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Mon Aug 29 16:55:46 UTC 2016

On 29.08.16 7:19 , Shane Kerr wrote:
> Paul,

>>> Basically I think that if we had block-chains 20 years ago we wouldn't
>>> have needed ICANN. ...
>>
>> i was there, and i tried something similar, and i was brutally rebuffed.
>>
>> see <http://family.redbarn.org/~vixie/dns-badnames.pdf> and do note the
>> date as you contemplate the content.
>
> hoho! (I laugh because of the size of the numbers there versus today,
> and of course because of how well it spotted problems that have plagued
> DNS registries since it was written.)
>
> A very interesting document. A pity that it didn't push things more. :(

For the record: Rick Adams formally proposed to operate a fully
automatic registration system when the NSF re-bid the InterNIC contract.
It did not include block chain type ideas; that was not invented yet.
I remember something like multiple public copies of the registration
database(s) held by independent entities in the proposal. The principles
were astonishingly independent of DNS as the publication mechanism. This
happened in 1989. The documents could probably be FOIAd from NSF by
anyone interested in written history.

All I want to emphasize along with Paul here is that alternatives were
before the people who made the decisions that led to today's outcome.

Having been there and with hindsight I have to agree with Paul: the
major forces over time were antagonistic to any such solutions. Today
the political and economic interests are entrenched and all one can do
is to smooth out the the roughest edges.

Eventually a revolutionary alternative with sufficient benefits compared
with DNS will appear, gain traction and replace DNS.
But I advise to hold your breath.

Daniel