[dns-operations] NeoDNS : A new DNS like the one we know

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Mon Aug 29 03:24:05 UTC 2016

Shane Kerr wrote:
> Jaxson,
>
> At 2016-08-28 11:25:42 -0400
> Andrew Sullivan<ajs at anvilwalrusden.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 01:21:15PM +0800, Jaxson Peng wrote:
>>> the url: https://rot256.io/post/neodns/
>>> How do you think of it?
>
> Basically I think that if we had block-chains 20 years ago we wouldn't
> have needed ICANN. ...

i was there, and i tried something similar, and i was brutally rebuffed.

see <http://family.redbarn.org/~vixie/dns-badnames.pdf> and do note the
date as you contemplate the content.

people wanted brandable textual internet identifiers.

other people wanted the money that came from providing those.

others wanted the control that came from managing them.

what this tells us (or at any rate assures me) is that had namecoin or
any other block chain like system tried to outcompete dns back in the
days when the current hegemony was first getting commercial love, then
the alternative system would have been strangled in its crib.

--
P Vixie