[dns-operations] Adding CNAME for the root domain issue

Andrew Boling aboling at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 22:23:06 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Fred Morris <m3047 at m3047.net> wrote:

> To me, this looks like a label which is CNAMED to a zone. What's laid out
> seems like the most straightforward way to accomplish this. Paul, what
> you're saying seems to be that CNAMEs can't just point to anything:
> specifically they can't point to a domain containing NS and SOA records.

That's not what Paul was saying, and no such restriction exists for the
target (right hand side) of a CNAME alias.

If John's implication was that the records in the first example are at the
top of the zone (which is how Paul and I read it), then it's broken because
the SOA and NS records are absent. Even if the SOA and NS records were to
be added back in, it becomes a RFC 2181 violation. (CNAME can't share a
label with SOA or NS)