[dns-operations] Adding CNAME for the root domain issue

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Wed Apr 27 20:42:01 UTC 2016

Top-posting, because I quoted a lot. Ok now I'm a little disturbed.

To me, this looks like a label which is CNAMED to a zone. What's laid out
seems like the most straightforward way to accomplish this. Paul, what
you're saying seems to be that CNAMEs can't just point to anything:
specifically they can't point to a domain containing NS and SOA records.

Maybe I'm lazy, and I should go read RFCs...

Anyway, this line of reasoning suggests to me that once a domain is
CNAMEd, nothing downstream (a subdomain) can ever be delegated. I'd never
really thought of it that way before.