[dns-operations] [ Slightly OT ] Any good Perl whois modules?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Mon Apr 18 00:05:07 UTC 2016

On 04/15/2016 12:23 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 07:32:48PM +0000,
>   Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.email> wrote
>   a message of 49 lines which said:
>
>> What are people using nowadays to parse whois in Perl?
>
> Obviously Net::DRI <http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-DRI/>. What else?

Thank you for the recommendation, but this turns out to be a
non-starter. It won't install with CPAN, as it fails its own unit tests.
That may have something to do with the fact that I'm using local::lib,
but certainly shouldn't.

It's probably also worth noting that the dotandco website that all of
the CPAN entries for this module point to for documentation is down (and
apparently has been for some time).

And FWIW I did take a look at using Net::XWhois and writing my own
parser (which the module supports) but there are so many other problems
with this code that it just doesn't seem worth it.

So I suppose I will have to do the thing you're not supposed to do and
write my own ... fortunately my needs are simple, so it'll probably take
me less time to do it then I've already invested trying to find a module
to do it for me. :-/

Doug