[dns-operations] Cname errors?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Sep 30 15:17:56 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 11:02:27AM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 07:53:24AM -0700, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > matter, because these servers should be run by experts, who should be
> > looking at every possible config knob and every default setting, before
> > they go live.
>
> I believe that, if that is the plan for how the Internet is going to
> develop in the future, we are doomed.  Services on the Internet are
> going to be run _decreasingly_ by experts, as nearly as I can tell.
> If we are relying on people looking at every knob and every default
> setting, we are going to be sorely disappointed.  (This is relevant to
> all services, including DNS, so I think it's appropriate for this
> list.)

You missed the point.  The reason the default setting is to log these
errors is precisely so the non-experts don't have to look at every
knob and every default setting.  They can trust that the default
settings are appropriate, which they are in this case.  What is the
harm in this extra logging?  Little.  What is the benefit?  To help
non-experts (and experts) learn why DNS queries may be failing.