[dns-operations] root zone archive

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Sep 17 20:13:16 UTC 2015

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015, Paul Vixie wrote:
> i guess if we'd realized that the internet was going to be important
> some day we would have made backups of the root zone from day 1.

The namedroppers at SRI-NIC (and follow-ups) was the best archive of
the transition from hosts.txt to the domain name system and major
DNS events for the first 20 years.

I used to have a complete namedroppers archive, but lost a drive in the
early 2000's.

I've been looking around with google, and haven't found a complete
namedroppers archive pre-2000.  SRI-NIC had it for a while but is
gone, Internic had it for a while but is gone, IETF has it after 2002.
www.archive.org doesn't have pre-2000 FTP sites, so it doesn't have
it either.

Some packrat probably has archives of the early ARPANET lists somewhere,
on 9-track?