[dns-operations] Putting IPv6 glue into the root (was Enabling the IPv6-only Internet: the Final TLDs)

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 15:27:53 UTC 2015

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 7:14 AM, Shane Kerr <shane at time-travellers.org> wrote:

> So at least 7 of the 33 already have IPv6 servers in their NS, but they
> just haven't put them in the ICANN root zone as hints.
>
> I'm not sure if this is good news or not. On the one hand, these guys
> have the hard part sorted out. On the other hand, it's a bit
> disappointing that so many TLD are out of sync with their parent.

My limited, albeit robust, experience with adding glue RRs is that it
is phenomenally more difficult to add an IPv6 record than an IPv4
record.  It seems that there exist registrar tools to swiftly handle
IPv4 additions and deletions, and those tools, APIs, etc., just don't
yet exist for IPv6 records.  It's 2015, when I want to add/change an
IPv6 RR (for gTLDs!) I have to open a support ticket with my
registrar, they then send an _email_ to their upstream, who then (i
suspect)  _email_ V or P.  If I add an IPv4 RR, it's click, click,
click, submit, and wait 2 mins.

-Jim P.