[dns-operations] IPv6 Connectivity on Firefox

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Nov 26 04:21:35 UTC 2015

In message <2106414.8nkklrZYF3 at linux-85bq.suse>, Paul Vixie writes:

> On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 09:51:20 AM Francisco Obispo wrote:
> > With no IPv6 connectivity, is best to disable IPv6 on firefox.
> >
> > Simply type in the address bar: `about:config`
> >
> > Then search for `ipv6` in the provided search, and set the value to
> > `true` in: `network.dns.disableIPv6`
> >
> on my laptop, i move between dual-stack networks and ipv4-only networks
> several times per day. i won't be adding a visit to "about:config" to my
> list of things to do every time i open the lid. the described firefox
> behaviour is just wrong.
> >
> --
> P. Vixie

I see no evidence that the behaviour is wrong.  There was zero
description about the local network where the "tests" were performed
so it is impossible to make any decision about whether the behaviour
is acceptable or not.

When there are questions like "Does that have anything to do with
my ISP Ipv6 connectivity? My ISP, Charter, doesn’t support Ipv6
connectivity to residential customers yet. If so, how Firefox does
know that my ISP doesn’t support Ipv6 connectivity? How does Firefox
know that the host triggering the DNS requests is not within an
Ipv6 network?" you have to questions why this was posted at all.

Almost certainly there is nothing more than link-local IPv6 and
with that you wouldn't expect to see any traffic.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org