[dns-operations] IPv6 Connectivity on Firefox

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Wed Nov 25 19:31:11 UTC 2015

Paul & all,

[ we are rapidly straying further and further from DNS and onto browser
  behavior, but anyway... ]

At 2015-11-25 10:16:23 -0800
Paul Vixie <vixie at tisf.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 09:51:20 AM Francisco Obispo wrote:
> > With no IPv6 connectivity, is best to disable IPv6 on firefox.
> >
> > Simply type in the address bar: `about:config`
> >
> > Then search for `ipv6` in the provided search, and set the value to `true`
> > in: `network.dns.disableIPv6`
>
> on my laptop, i move between dual-stack networks and ipv4-only networks
> several times per day. i won't be adding a visit to "about:config" to my list of things
> to do every time i open the lid. the described firefox behaviour is just wrong.

I don't disable IPv6 in the about:config option very often, although it
is very rarely still useful to visit web pages that have broken IPv6
versions of their site (for example if a web hosting provider turns on
IPv6 but the site only works on IPv4 for some reason).

I don't really recommend disabling IPv6 in Firefox normally though. I
haven't done so in several months and like you I have been dealing with
IPv4-only and dual stack networks (and even an IPv6-only network at the
RIPE meeting). :)

Cheers,

--
Shane