[dns-operations] DNS Flush Protocol

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Mar 27 16:04:42 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 03:48:17PM +0000, Mike Jones wrote:
> I hereby propose an automated cache flush mechanism. I have no idea
> what such a protocol should look like, however support for it probably
> needs to be built in to standard DNS software.

Without a proposal for how this could possibly work, I don't see how
it's a proposal at all.  It's just a wish.

The basic problem is that the DNS is designed as a database with
distributed operation.  That operation relies on TTLs.  What people
want is a way to continue to rely on that decentralization except when
they mess up and don't want decentralization very briefly.  I don't
see a way that that can work reliably.  I'm especially not keen to add
yet more warts to the DNS protocol to solve the problem where people
mess up during publication.  It seems like it'd be better to
concentrate those resources in better support tools for DNS operation.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com