[dns-operations] DNS Flush Protocol

Mike Jones mike at mikejones.in
Fri Mar 27 15:48:17 UTC 2015

Every couple of months someone posts on a selection of industry
mailing lists that something has happened and can everyone please
flush their DNS caches for mywebsite.com. Often someone follows up the
discussion by suggesting some kind of automated system, which results
in a mention of opendns/googles flush pages, there is a little more
suggestion that a community flush system would be useful, then the
thread fizzles out.

I hereby propose an automated cache flush mechanism. I have no idea
what such a protocol should look like, however support for it probably
needs to be built in to standard DNS software. BIND needs a setting
that can tell it to register with "cacheflushservice.net" which will
result in the "cacheflushservice.net" server sending out a request to
flush google.com to all registered servers whenever I ask them to
flush google.com for me.

Comments? Ideas? Does someone want to make a slightly more formal
proposal for what such a protocol should look like?

- Mike Jones