[dns-operations] Python or Ruby

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Mon Feb 9 20:01:04 UTC 2015

> Brett <mailto:brettcarr at gmail.com>
> Monday, February 09, 2015 7:34 AM
> I find myself thinking that perhaps I should attempt to learn a modern
> scripting language and seem to of settled on the choice of Ruby or
> Python (though I could probably still be swayed elsewhere if something
> else was a better fit) Given that the majority of my work has a DNS
> slant on it somewhere I wondered what you guys experiences/preferences
> were in this area. They of course have some kind of DNS library but I
> wondered how many of you had used them and whether your experiences
> had been good/bad in either direction.

python is the more marketable skill, of python vs. ruby.

i rarely write code any more but when i do it's Perl with Net::DNS.
this, also, is a less marketable skill than python and pydns, at this
stage of the game.

if you're doing this for love, try them all (ESPECIALLY "go"!) and see
which one grabs you.

if you're doing it for relevance and compatibility and code re-use and
code sharing, use python.

--
Paul Vixie