[dns-operations] CPE router/gateway DNS behavior

Fr34k freaknetboy at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 15 18:54:19 UTC 2015

Quite the undertaking, considering models (and different firmware versions per model) by vendor, but certainly valuable info.

I know how my dlink works :)   ... which provided a Win7 client the three RNS servers in order, then Win7 behaved as mentioned in NET: DNS: DNS client resolution timeouts

I was testing different RNS failure scenarios (as well as capturing packets via Wireshark) by using the dlink's firewall to simulate RNS outages.

|   |
|   |   |   |   |   |
| NET: DNS: DNS client resolution timeoutsSummary    This document describes the fallback and timeout behavior that exist when one or more DNS Servers IPs are configured on a Windows DNS client.  |
|  |
| View on support.microsoft.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

    On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:41 PM, Paul Hoffman <phoffman at proper.com> wrote:

 On 15 Dec 2015, at 8:09, Roosenraad, Chris wrote:

> All,
>
> Before I start in, and possibly re-invent the wheel, I’m curious if
> anyone has ever done any analysis of how major brand home routers
> (i.e. CPEs) behave with regards to the DNS servers their given via
> DHCP.  Specifically, I’m curious how they choose between the various
> DNS servers they’re supplied…do they stick with one, do they round
> robin, is it random, etc.
>
> So if anyone has done such research, I’d love to know about it.  If
> not, and anyone wants to help me do such so that we can share it out
> here, please let me know.

Greetings. Wearing my ICANN hat, I am about* to start a long-term
research project on how CPE and other middleboxes deal with the DNS in
many different ways. I had not thought of looking at how they deal with
multiple DNS names in coming from DHCP, but it would be easy for me to
do so, and thus will.

I'm hoping to have at least a smattering of early results for the next
OARC meeting, but intend to keep doing more tests with more and more
systems over time.

--Paul Hoffman

* As in, literally tomorrow
dns-jobs mailing list