[dns-operations] CPE router/gateway DNS behavior

Roosenraad, Chris chris.roosenraad at twcable.com
Tue Dec 15 16:09:40 UTC 2015

All,

Before I start in, and possibly re-invent the wheel, I’m curious if anyone has ever done any analysis of how major brand home routers (i.e. CPEs) behave with regards to the DNS servers their given via DHCP.  Specifically, I’m curious how they choose between the various DNS servers they’re supplied…do they stick with one, do they round robin, is it random, etc.

So if anyone has done such research, I’d love to know about it.  If not, and anyone wants to help me do such so that we can share it out here, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

--
Chris R. Roosenraad
13820 Sunrise Valley Drive