[dns-operations] A dns-proxy for DNS over HTTP(s)

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Fri Aug 14 14:46:56 UTC 2015

Davey, Paul, and all,

On Tue, 04 Aug 2015 12:54:31 -0700
Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:

> Davey(宋林健) wrote:
> >
> > FYI, as a follow-up work, there is a implementation of DNS over
> > HTTP(s) in golang and do some optimization.
> >
> > please turn to https://github.com/BII-Lab/DNSoverHTTPinGO for more
> > information.

I think there are two separate things here.

First there are several implementations of a DNS over HTTP protocol.
These range from just using DNS over port 80/443 to people running REST
services using JSON APIs. I wonder if it makes sense to try to capture
all the different degrees of freedom in this kind of service and if not
make a standard, at least document the trade-offs?

> i love the golang version. perhaps it's time to ask a hundred or so
> operators around the world to install the server side of either the
> golang or C version of this tool, and publish the URL's (and IP/IP6
> addresses) of each. there's no reason for anybody to suffer from hotel
> or coffee shop rDNS now that this protocol has been proved to work.

Second there is the idea of making DNS over HTTP as a resource
available to users. I think this is possibly quite interesting, but
wonder what the general approach would be? Perhaps something like
POOL.NTP.ORG? Maybe also include some rate-limiting rules to prevent
these from becoming abusive open resolvers?

Cheers,

--
Shane