[dns-operations] Live-streaming the Root Zone Key-Signing Key Ceremony 22

Phil Pennock dnsop+phil at spodhuis.org
Thu Aug 13 00:36:03 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-12 at 20:22 +0000, Leo Vegoda wrote:
> Joe Abley wrote:
> [...]
>
> > The approach we took back during the DURZ era was to send progress updates
> > regularly (to tens of thousands of list subscribers) for reasons of operational
> > relevance, but then to invite people to join a specific announcement list for
> > future, more routine ceremonies.
>
> That'll be this list:

I'm on that list; the last pre-announcement was for KSK Ceremony 19,
last November, with 8 days notice.  There's no notice for Ceremony 20,
just an after-the-fact mail of the materials.  For 21, there was two
months notice.  For 22, one day's notice.

I've just checked the mailman list archives, in case messages went
astray.  Nope, I have them all.

So while the intent seems good, Warren and Matthew's points remain valid
as there was no advance notice this time and the behaviour is wildly
inconsistent.

Which is especially ironic given that the whole point of the ceremonies
is showing good bureaucracy and process to maintain trust.

-Phil