[dns-operations] Why are cnames called "canonical" names?

Mark E. Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Fri Apr 10 02:05:28 UTC 2015

Again, I'm not explaining myself clearly.

The question isn't "which side of a cname is the canonical name", the
question is "why did they decide to call it 'canonical'" (as opposed to
calling it some other word than 'canonical' that meant exactly the same
thing as what 'canonical' means.

It's just not intuitive (to me) as to why that specific actual word
(which has biblical meanings but no ostensible technical ones, read on)
was selected.

In other words my question is "what is the etymology of the term
'canonical' in the sense that it's used in the DNS CNAME RR"

I hope the person who emailed me off-list does not mind that I paste a
snippet of what he told me here:

--begin

""canonicalizing" can be found mentioned as early as K&R's _C_ at least
as a concept (pre-dating the patent nonsense about number formats on the
wire). It's mentioned in the sense of promotion of numbers.

In essence the general concept (as it pertains to numbers anyway) is
that it's a lot easier to write N*2 convertors (one each way) to a
representational format powerful enough to represent all N formats than
it is to write N*(N-1) convertors to convert directly between them.

So "canonicalizing" names doesn't mean quite the same thing but the
concept is that "WWW" should work everywhere, it's a canonical name for
a service. They could have just used A RRs, but the responsibility for
maintaining the service might not be the same as that for infrastructure."

---end

That's the sort of explanation I was after.

- mark