[dns-operations] Hearing first complains about failing internal resolving due to .prod TLD

Keith Mitchell keith at dns-oarc.net
Mon Sep 15 15:17:47 UTC 2014

On 09/13/2014 10:45 AM, David Conrad wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2014, at 2:19 AM, Franck Martin <fmartin at linkedin.com>
> wrote:
>> I’m not sure why the dot prod was not first set up to return
>> NXDOMAIN, queries logged, and then source IP contacted to warn
>> them

>> May be this is an insight now, may be this is something to do for
>> ALL newly introduced TLDs, set up the resolution for a month with
>> NXDOMAIN and then analyze the logs and see if it could be an
>> issue.
>
> You might want to look at
> https://www.jasadvisors.com/namespace-expansion-i.pdf.
> Interestingly, .prod had only 146 (filtered) unique SLDs in the DITL
> data.
>
> This was discussed in the last year or so of ‘discussions’ related
> to name collision. Trivial to game, difficulties finding the actual
> source, difficulties in establishing what could be an issue vs. a
> false positive, etc.

I've tried (I hope) to make it clear whenever opportune, that OARC's
DITL data should only ever have been regarded as *a* source of
policy-informing analysis for Name Collisions, and should not in any way
be regarded as comprehensive or definitive. We were more than happy to
step up with what we had in the absence of anything else, but other data
sources would have been and would remain welcome.

It seems we may be seeing the first signs of the gap between reality and
the dimensionally-constrained worldview of OARC data. Here's a couple of
ideas I'd like to put out there:

- now that various of the nTLDs have been delegated into Controlled
  Interruption mode, would it be helpful for OARC to do an additional
  (or periodic) DITL capture(s), so we can get some comparison between
  what we thought we'd be seeing and what are seeing ?

- are there any other types of data-gathering that OARC could perform
  for the community that would help us understand these issues better
  (and if so what, and who would like to help) ? There were some
  proposals for such data gathering mooted, but AIUI did not get
  sufficient support in the ICANN process to be mandated.

Keith