[dns-operations] Hearing first complains about failing internal resolving due to .prod TLD

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Sat Sep 13 14:50:20 UTC 2014

On Sep 13, 2014, at 2:19 AM, Franck Martin <fmartin at linkedin.com> wrote:

> I’m not sure why the dot prod was not first set up to return NXDOMAIN, queries logged, and then source IP contacted to warn them of such upcoming change.

Because ICANN decided to do it a different way, as has already been described a few times earlier in this thread.

> May be this is an insight now, may be this is something to do for ALL newly introduced TLDs, set up the resolution for a month with NXDOMAIN and then analyze the logs and see if it could be an issue.

Proposal: we don't use this mailing list to re-debate what ICANN should have done for new gTLDs. There was plenty of earlier discussion in ICANN and at the Verisign workshop. ICANN made a decision and implemented it. Arguing about that history here is about as useful as arguing about the history of BIND.

--Paul Hoffman