[dns-operations] Dumb question: why is it that some registries limit the nameservers that can be delegated to?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Sep 12 11:46:29 UTC 2014

Rubens Kuhl <rubensk at nic.br> wrote:

> It was curious to see that a to-be-unnamed TLD registry, a newcomer to
> the scene many years after the holy wars that ended up defining the
> current RFCs, writing completely new code, mentioned that they found
> attributes to be a better option, but decided to go with host objects
> due to registrar support. This doesn't prove which way is better, but
> for me it indicates that the role in the value chain can play a part in
> which option is preferred.

Nominet is another example along those lines: alongside the .uk namespace
change they have switched to a more standard EPP implementation.

http://registrars.nominet.org.uk/namespace/uk/registration-and-domain-management/registrar-systems/epp
http://registrars.nominet.org.uk/content/what-are-differences-between-nominet-epp-and-standard-epp

Tony.
Trafalgar: Cyclonic in northwest, otherwise mainly northerly or northwesterly
5 or 6. Slight or moderate. Showers in northwest. Good.