[dns-operations] Hearing first complains about failing internal resolving due to .prod TLD

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Sep 12 05:58:00 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 08:42:45PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> 3. You respond with the same URL, plus pontification on various topics,

If by "pontification on various topics" you mean "the bit about how
the new gTLD database actually can tell you what stuff has passed all
the hurdles, even if it's not in a form trivially useful to geeks",
then I suppose you're right.

> including a list of already delegated TLDs that you point out is not updated
> in real time

I didn't point that out, the page itself did.  I am prepared to grant
it mystifying to me that ICANN, which holds the IANA contract, is
unable to mirror content from IANA pages into ICANN pages, but I am
not prepared to comment further.

> about the need for ICANN to publish "'Here's what we plan
> to delegate next,' without perhaps giving a time." Which, FWIW, is the exact
> content of the URL that I (and you) responded to Joshua with in the first
> place.

If that were actually the exact content of that URL, then I'd have
posted the URL in the first place and said nothing more.  It is
nowhere clear that that's what it is on any site that I've yet found,
and certainly the page itself does not indicate that.  I'd be pleased
to learn that
http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings includes
dates in the future (or even "pending" in the date column), but I've
no evidence to support that.  If you have it, then I'd be super
interested in seeing it.

> Now, did I get all that right?

Apparently not.

> Because I really want to benefit from your wisdom here. :)

Many will tell you, in case you have not already figured this out
yourself, that the wisdom I proffer is pretty thin gruel.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com