[dns-operations] Hearing first complains about failing internal resolving due to .prod TLD

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Sep 12 02:08:07 UTC 2014

In message <45B62715-B7F9-439E-81B3-6C7356E88F8A at vpnc.org>, Paul Hoffman writes
:
> On Sep 11, 2014, at 4:27 PM, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:
>
> > for the time being, and perhaps for a long time to come, the
> > people who call the presence of .PROD a bug and/or depend on its absence
> > as a feature, outnumbers and will outnumber the people who call it a
> > feature or who will call its absence a bug.
>
> How do you measure that? This is a serious question, one that affects DNS ope
> rators. If you have a way of determining how many enterprises are negatively
> affected as a new gTLD rolls out, that would be very useful information.

I just wish I had been able to convince Paul to remove support for
partially qualified names back when RFC 1535 came out.  We knew
then that they were a bad idea.  ndots minimises the damage of using
partially qualified names.  It doesn't remove it.

The real fix is make the resolver libraries not append search lists
entries to names with multiple labels.  Yes, people need to type
slightly long names or add more search list entries.  Yes there
will be some pain but it is something better done sooner rather
than later.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC