[dns-operations] need someone else to look at these servers

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Oct 14 23:17:29 UTC 2014

The servers (or the firewalls in front of them) are not RFC 103[45]
compliant.  DNS is a query/response protocol.  If you don't get a
response the server is broken.  It shouldn't matter what is in the
packet including complete garbage as long as it is 12 bytes or
bigger and the qr bit is set to zero.  If you can't parse the packet,
you *construct* a response which is just the DNS header with the
rcode set to FORMERR, the id set to that of the query and qr set
to 1, aa set to 0, aa set to 0, ad set to 0, rd copied, ra set as
appropriate (not that it really matters), cd copied if you support
DNSSEC otherwise set to 0, z set to 0.  This isn't rocket science.
It is not hard to do this.

Report the problem to them.  If they do not fix the problem in a
reasonable amount of time followup with the rest of the steps listed
in RFC 1033.  Yes, I do mean excommunicate zones that can't handle
getting a EDNS query, or can't handle AD being set to 1 in the
query.

If the firewall doesn't like a query it should be generating a reply
on behalf of the server.  That said there is no valid reason to
block well formed EDNS queries or queries with reserved bits set
or to block EDNS queries with version set to a value other than
zero or to block EDNS options especially 15 years after EDNS was
first deployed.  None of these things should cause a problem to a
nameserver and while there are plenty of servers returning bad
they stay up and continue running.

If they do then the block should be temporary while the problem is
addressed.  The blocks definitely should not be on by default.

RFC 1033

COMPLAINTS

   These are the suggested steps you should take if you are having
   problems that you believe are caused by someone else's name server:

   1.  Complain privately to the responsible person for the domain.  You
   can find their mailing address in the SOA record for the domain.

   2.  Complain publicly to the responsible person for the domain.

   3.  Ask the NIC for the administrative person responsible for the
   domain.  Complain.  You can also find domain contacts on the NIC in
   the file NETINFO:DOMAIN-CONTACTS.TXT

   4.  Complain to the parent domain authorities.

   5.  Ask the parent authorities to excommunicate the domain.

Mark