[dns-operations] need someone else to look at these servers

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Tue Oct 14 22:08:23 UTC 2014

A customer is trying to send email to a customer that is using
secureserver.net for email.

Their MX record points to presmtp.ex3.secureserver.net.

This is where things get screwy.

Dig(+trace) shows that presemtp.ex3.secureserver.net has the following
auth servers:

gns1.secureserver.net
gns2.secureserver.net
gns3.secureserver.net

However when I query these servers directly using dig, I get back No
servers could be reached.
(dig @gns1.secureserver.net presmtp.ex3.secureserver.net)

When I use +notcp option, I get back:

Warning: EDNS query returned status FORMERR - retry with '+noedns'.

If I use +notcp and +noedns, it works and I get the A record.

If I use +noedns, it works and I get the A record.

Am I doing something wrong or are their servers/load balancers screwed
up?  I know something is wrong, but would like someone with a bit more
knowledge to look at this and give their opinion.

Thanks,
Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.