[dns-operations] Firewall defaults and EDNS

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Nov 20 22:22:47 UTC 2014

In message <D0936937.7A04E%michoski at cisco.com>, "Mike Hoskins (michoski)" writes:
> This is a resource I've used to fix issues for BIND servers behind PIX and
> ASA's:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/web/about/security/intelligence/dnssec.html
>
> You are right, after much discussion over the years (as an outsider and
> insider) newer versions of Cisco defaults have gotten better.  If there
> are specific examples of things that are currently broken, I will at least
> volunteer to help forward details to the right product teams.  Cisco is a
> Big Pond, with my focus far outside the firewall realm, so unfortunately I
> can't guarantee more than that.

Thanks Mike.

Please see

http://users.isc.org/~marka/ts/tld.flagsfail.html
http://users.isc.org/~marka/ts/tld.edns1fail.html
http://users.isc.org/~marka/tld-report.html

Most of the timeouts appear to be due to firewalls dropping EDNS
packets using one of the extension mechanisms (version, flags or
options).  You can see the patterns in the timeouts indicate firewalls
dropping certain types of packets.

EDNS is 15 years old and nameservers handle EDNS requests.  There
is no reason to block them by default in any form at this point in
time.  All that does is make it harder to deploy extensions.  I
don't see that it is protecting anything at this stage.

As far as I can see the servers behind the firewalls handle these
queries though not always correctly. In lots of cases the IPv4
instance is behind a firewall but the IPv6 instance isn't and the
IPv6 instance copes with the extensio.

I don't see any evidence that using the extension mechanisms causes
harm to the servers.

http://users.isc.org/~marka/ts.html
http://users.isc.org/~marka/alexa-report.html
http://users.isc.org/~marka/gov-report.html