[dns-operations] Trustworthiness of PTR record targets

Jothan Frakes jothan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 19:29:16 UTC 2014

I totally concur on PTR = nice but not really trusted.

I can example it as being an accessory in determination of trust, though.

As a component of trust heuristics, on SMTP mailers that are 'first hop',
some mailers look for a direct match between the MX and the A record
returned for _HOSTNAME_ and the _HOSTNAME_ returned for the PTR on the
in-addr.arpa for that A record when choosing to receive email or not from
an unknown IP address.

I said that all wierd, perhaps this says it better:

chocolate-chunnel.example. IN MX 10 mx.chocolate-chunnel.example.
(CALL THIS "A")
mx.chocolate-chunnel.example. IN A 1.2.3.4
             (CALL THIS "B")

4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mx.chocolate-chunnel.example.
     (CALL THIS "C")

IP of connecting Hostname of SMTP connection  (CALL THIS "D")
Hostname in HELO of SMTP session (CALL THIS "E")
FQDN in FROM of SMTP session (CALL THIS "F")

Recipient MX would look at parity of these elements (ie D=A & E=F=B=C)

Spammers are typically lazy about rotating the hostname of sender and they
don't make the carpet match the drapes and pillows, so to speak.   If they
all match, it impacts the heuristics.

Jothan Frakes
+1.206-355-0230 tel
+1.206-201-6881 fax