[dns-operations] How to plan dns server IP change?

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 19:45:44 UTC 2014

On 06/15/2014 01:18 PM, Mohamed Lrhazi wrote:
> We need to change our ns3.dom.ain IP address, part of data center move...
>
> I see that the ip address of the NS servers is to be updated at the
> registrar, in addition to in our own zone data....
>
> Where, or where else, does that record live? Can its TTL be lowered in all
> those places? What are the gotcha's?

Hi Mohamed,

You just lower the TTL on your zone and all the resolvers out there will
reflect that (as opposed to the TTL at your parent).  It's your TTL the
one that prevails (since you're the ultimate authority for your zone).
That's at least in theory (and what I've seen so far).

> Also, been thinking that since we cant have both old and new IPs up at the
> same time, maybe it might be simple to just go ahead and delete ns3 from
> the registrar database, and just add it again way later, after our data
> center move... Would that be a better solution in this case?

I see three possible ways:

# SCENARIO 1 #

a) change the ip of  NS3's "A" record to that of your NS2. Do the same
at your parent.
b) lower the TTL of the "A" record on your zone to, say, 5 minutes
c) wait 24 hours (reason on my last paragraph...)

Migration....

d) once new server is ready change back the "A" record for NS3 at your
zone & parent
e) increase TTL  accordingly

# SCENARIO 2 #

This is the one you mentioned:

a) delete reference for ns3 in your zone & at your parent
b) wait 24 hours (reason on my last paragraph...)
c) shut down service/server...

Migration...

d) start service
e) include new NS3 record in your zone & parent (don't forget
corresponding PTR)

# SCENARIO 3 #

Ask the network guys to redirect DNS packets coming to NS3 to any of
your other nameservers.  If all three nameserves are geographically
dispersed this might get complicated.

---

We recently performed the first scenario and everything worked pretty
good.  However, remember that there could be some resolvers out there
that might not honor your TTL and may cache, longer than necessary, your
DNS records (causing hits against it when it no longer exists) so, for
scenario #1 & #2,  even after lowering the TTL to 5 minutes, I'd wait 24
hours before starting the migration ( just to be on the safe side).

HTH,
Jorge