[dns-operations] How to plan dns server IP change?

Mohamed Lrhazi ml623 at georgetown.edu
Sun Jun 15 17:18:44 UTC 2014

We need to change our ns3.dom.ain IP address, part of data center move...

I see that the ip address of the NS servers is to be updated at the
registrar, in addition to in our own zone data....

Where, or where else, does that record live? Can its TTL be lowered in all
those places? What are the gotcha's?

Also, been thinking that since we cant have both old and new IPs up at the
same time, maybe it might be simple to just go ahead and delete ns3 from
the registrar database, and just add it again way later, after our data
center move... Would that be a better solution in this case?

Thanks a lot,
Mohamed.