[dns-operations] difference between several NS with several glue

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Wed Jul 30 07:11:53 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-30 00:04, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> Is there somewhere a survey of the behavior of the various resolvers,
> in this situation? Because my guess is the opposite of yours:
> resolvers will try all the addresses, following RFC 1034, section
> 5.3.3:
>
> Step 3 sends out queries until a response is received.  The strategy is
> to cycle around all of the addresses for all of the servers with a
> timeout between each transmission.  In practice it is important to use
> all addresses of a multihomed host,  [...]

Actually I think you're correct, I think it's if one server returns
SERVFAIL, the other IPs won't be tried (whereas other named NS would)

Either way, there's at least one circumstance where one of the commonly
used resolvers gives up, whereas it wouldn't in the traditional
ns1/ns2/ns3 configuration.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/