[dns-operations] difference between several NS with several glue

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jul 30 07:04:05 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 10:44:29AM -0700,
 Dave Warren <davew at hireahit.com> wrote
 a message of 29 lines which said:

> From what I understand, when 1.1.1.1 fails to respond, all of
> a.example.net will be considered bad, so 2.2.2.2 and 3.3.3.3 won't
> be queried at all, and a resolver will return a SERVFAIL.

Is there somewhere a survey of the behavior of the various resolvers,
in this situation? Because my guess is the opposite of yours:
resolvers will try all the addresses, following RFC 1034, section
5.3.3:

Step 3 sends out queries until a response is received.  The strategy is
to cycle around all of the addresses for all of the servers with a
timeout between each transmission.  In practice it is important to use
all addresses of a multihomed host,  [...]