[dns-operations] ISC Network Issue affecting OARC services

Keith Mitchell keith at dns-oarc.net
Tue Jul 22 14:21:48 UTC 2014

On 07/21/2014 01:57 PM, Keith Mitchell wrote:
> For those of you not already aware, many of OARC's services are
> being impacted by a significant DDoS attack against ISC who host most
> of our infrastructure. Please see below for a statement from them on
> this.
>
> We've been seeing major packet loss to our systems hosted in Redwood
> City, currently around 40% (down from over 80% at worst) - none of
> our services are down, but many are working very slowly.
>
> Obviously we're working with ISC to try and address this - we're
> sorry for the inconvenience and will keep you updated as we know more
> from them.

Today's update from ISC indicates that this was collateral damage from
an attack on one of the ccTLD registry operators which they host
secondary auth servers for, and that for now it is mostly mitigated. We
will continue to monitor.

Having successfully stabilized, updated and rationalized OARC
infrastructure over the past year, rest assured that after the past
week's incidents, giving it greater geographic/provider diversity and
higher availability rank high on our next round of development plans...
Thanks for all the offers of help with this.

Keith