[dns-operations] Another public DNS resolver, this time with DNSSEC

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sun Jul 20 20:15:02 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 08:11:43PM +0000,
 Evan Hunt <each at isc.org> wrote
 a message of 19 lines which said:

> I wish I knew who they were, though: it's not obvious from the
> website, and dns.watch doesn't have an MX record.  It's harder to
> evaluate claims of neutrality and data privacy when I don't know who
> I'm talking to.

whois ?

% whois -h whois.nic.watch dns.watch
Domain Name: dns.watch
Domain ID: ee1c979bba3d45a2b65a6e9050c4e407-D
WHOIS Server: http://whois.1api.net
Referral URL: http://www.1api.net
Updated Date: 2014-05-31T11:48:02Z
Creation Date: 2014-05-07T19:29:37Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2015-05-07T19:29:37Z
Sponsoring Registrar: 1API
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 1387
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registrant ID: usi19384781_xlxe
Registrant Name: Ideal-Hosting Hostmaster
Registrant Organization: Ideal-Hosting UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Registrant Street: Haagstr. 9
Registrant City: Erlangen
Registrant State/Province: Bavaria
Registrant Postal Code: 91054
Registrant Country: DE
Registrant Phone: +49.091319279944
Registrant Phone Ext: 10
Registrant Fax: +49.091319279999
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: domains at ideal-hosting.com
Admin ID: usi19384781_xlxe
Admin Name: Ideal-Hosting Hostmaster
Admin Organization: Ideal-Hosting UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Admin Street: Haagstr. 9
Admin City: Erlangen
Admin State/Province: Bavaria
Admin Postal Code: 91054
Admin Country: DE
Admin Phone: +49.091319279944
Admin Phone Ext: 10
Admin Fax: +49.091319279999
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: domains at ideal-hosting.com
Tech ID: usi19384781_xlxe
Tech Name: Ideal-Hosting Hostmaster
Tech Organization: Ideal-Hosting UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Tech Street: Haagstr. 9
Tech City: Erlangen
Tech State/Province: Bavaria
Tech Postal Code: 91054
Tech Country: DE
Tech Phone: +49.091319279944
Tech Phone Ext: 10
Tech Fax: +49.091319279999
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: domains at ideal-hosting.com
Name Server: ns30.dns4pro.at
Name Server: ns20.dns4pro.at
Name Server: ns10.dns4pro.at
DNSSEC: unsigned

>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2014-07-20T20:12:38Z <<<

Terms of Use: Users accessing the Donuts WHOIS service must agree to use the data only for lawful purposes, and under under no circumstances use the data to: Allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission by e-mail, telephone, or facsimile of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations to entities other than the registrar's own existing customers. Enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that send queries or data to the systems of Donuts or any ICANN-accredited registrar, except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or modify existing registrations. When using the Donuts Whois service, please consider the following: The Whois service is not a replacement for standard EPP commands to the SRS service. Whois is not considered authoritative for registered domain objects. The Whois service may be scheduled for downtime during production or OT&E maintenance periods. Queries to the Whois services are throttled. If too many queries are received from a single IP address within a specified time, the service will begin to reject further queries for a period of time to prevent disruption of Whois service access.