[dns-operations] Is it illegal to query the .berlin TLD servers?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jan 13 20:48:38 UTC 2014

In message <19F54F2956911544A32543B8A9BDE0750A42C7EA at NICS-EXCH2.sbg.nic.at>, Al
exander Mayrhofer writes:
> Florian Streibelt wrote:
> > # dig +short txt berlin
> > ;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.
> > "The .berlin-zone is protected through the German Copyright-Law. " "Beyond
> > it
> > is protected by criminal law and data protection law. " "Unauthorised entry
> > the zone is prohibited. " "All rights, in particular the right of duplicati
> > on,
> > circulation or usage, belong exclusively to nic.berlin, unless you have an
> > explicit written agreement with nic.berlin."
>
> As the backend operator for .berlin, we have now removed the respective recor
> d from our zone generation logic. As far as I understand, the original intent
>  of the record was to attach a legal notice to the zone that survives a zone
> transfer, and - as far as i know - the intent was also that this disclaimer w
> ould only apply to the zone as a whole. A similar record has been in use unde
> r .at for ages, and never caused any technical nor administrative issues.

That you have been made aware of.

Entering anything at a zone apex of a tld is effectively introducing
unqualified data into the system.  No, the period at the end does
not qualify the name given how search algorithms in stub resolvers
work.  This would be less if a issue if searches stopped on no data

Note entering anything that is found by adding a automatic prefix
to a tld which is found as the result of the resolver searching is
also effectively unqualified data.

e.g.
	"_http._tcp.berlin SRV" would be just as bad a "berlin A" or
	"berlin AAAA" (assuming that _http._tcp is the eventual SRV
	prefix for http) as it would be found by entering berlin and
	searching.

However entering "_whois._tcp.berlin" would not be as whois arguments
are absolute by default.