[dns-operations] Is it illegal to query the .berlin TLD, servers?

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Mon Jan 13 05:51:28 UTC 2014

Miek Gieben wrote:

| [ Quoting<rubensk at nic.br>  in "Re: [dns-operations] Is it illegal ..." ]

>> | the zone is prohibited. " "All rights, in particular the right of duplication,
>> | circulation or usage, belong exclusively to nic.berlin, unless you have an
>> | explicit written agreement with nic.berlin."
> |Actually this is a compliance issue, as only NS, DS and glue records should be present at the zone...

| .wien seems to have the same 'issue'.
|
| I don't really care about this, but it does seem a bit silly to have such a TXT
| record in a DNS zone.
|
| -- | Miek Gieben Under South African copyright law, this would
probably give the zone operator some protection against someone
duplicating the *entire* zone and doing something nefarious. Actually -
I think that right is already there in the case of a compiled complete
database, but such a notice would help preserve such right. but then
IANAL and South Africa != Germany. And I'm referring to the entire zone
(or a significant portion of it). --Calvin