[dns-operations] DNS namespace collisions and "controlled interruption"

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Jan 13 15:52:11 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 03:56:56PM +0000,
 Jeff Schmidt <jschmidt at jasadvisors.com> wrote
 a message of 184 lines which said:

> I'm not sure I understand this thinking precisely - if Joe Employee has a
> problem accessing Acme's resources (the bookmarked web page) isn't he
> likely to seek support from Acme?

No, he will probably say "oh, s..t, I'm not in the office, that's why
it fails" and will do something else (start the VPN?) As you know,
users don't report the real problems.

> 2). Importantly, his traffic will have never left his host, so it
> almost certainly won't be exposed to sniffing at the open coffee
> shop wifi or his compromised home router.

True, but it is not what I said. You asked several questions about
your proposal and I was only replying to the one I quoted, "Will
serving localhost IPs cause the kind of visibility required to inspire
action?" What you say here is different, it is that it will protect
Joe.