[dns-operations] DNS Attack over UDP fragmentation

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Sep 4 14:33:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 04:04:13PM +0200,
 Ondřej Surý <ondrej.sury at nic.cz> wrote
 a message of 93 lines which said:

> > Isn't is a good idea to limit the maximum size of the response,
> > like .com/.net (and may be other TLD: examples welcome) do? This
> > will make the attack more difficult.
>
> That could work, but what EDNS0 buffer size to pick?

.com/.net does it apparently around 1400 bytes, which certainly covers
the vast majority of Internet paths.

> And how to push this to end users?

Why? They don't need it (otherwise, .com would not work and we would
have noticed :-)

> We are currently looking at our DNS data for fragments (and their
> sizes), so it might give us some hints.

Check also ICMP "packet too big" coming in with ridiculous sizes, they
might be the sign that someone is trying the Shulman attack.